How about doing a Home and Emergency Safety Audit before the cold winter days hit?!
When making your plan be sure to check:
- How do you shut off water/gas in your residence? Barclay’s maintenance team will help you if you need it!
- Is your furnace working safely? This is a good time to purchase a carbon monoxide detector.
- Is your car ready for the winter ahead? Tires in good shape? Pack a safety box for your trunk with blankets, extra clothing, salt or sand in your trunk, window scraper?
- Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? Have you practiced an emergency fire drill at home?
- How can you contact Barclay Park, neighbors or a nearby emergency services if you are having an emergency?
- Are you prepared if you lose power? (Batteries, flashlights, radio, blankets, water, non-perishable food, etc.)
- Where is your family meeting place if there’s a weather or community emergency? (How will you get kids from school and care for pets?)
Be prepared for the “what if” and have a greater peace of mind.
- Ready.gov — FEMA Preparedness Site